Click this picture to lead you to my other blog

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Sampler dated 1795

It's slow progress at the moment.  I am filling the first basket with flowers and finding it rather tedious and I have three more to do!  I will post a picture as soon as one is finished!

In the meantime, following my policy of showing things contemporary to the Sundial Coverlet, I found this sampler by Martha Grubb dated 1795 via the Needleprint blog.

 
It's being sold at  Roseberys on 10 November ( Lot 627) and I apologise for the not very good pictures. The one in the catalogue was small and couldn't be enlarged so I asked for better ones and this is the best they could do.  However, just look at the content!  I think it gives a real flavour of the era and it thrills me that the maker of the Sundial could have sewn a similar one!

1 comment:

samplerlover said...

Mary Grubb sampler is so much like the Mary Slatter sampler.

A good photo of it is on this lovely blog.

http://merrywindfarm.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/as-promised-few-more-samplers.html. Mary Slatters sampler is a Procupine Sampler. It is a bit different from the norm as the people's faces are glued on.