Click this picture to lead you to my other blog

Thursday 18 July 2013

The border has arrived!

Well just look at this -


probably 20 plus meters of the much sought after border!  I am so excited!

My friend Sonia delivered it and we couldn't resist trying it around the patchwork -


Of course this is very roughly placed, but I am sure you will agree that it looks good?

I'm waiting for the weather to cool down a bit before I start cutting!  I don't operate well in hot weather and even with all this fabric I don't want to make mistakes.  I also need to wash the border pieces I cut, as the fabric that I already had, did shrink a little! 

I will also be adding an outer border of a favourite plum/purple Laura Ashley fabric - so still a way to go, especially as I will be sewing the blocks to the floral border by hand! 






10 comments:

Susan Briscoe said...

It looks perfect - it was meant to be!

I have used a method for mitred borders where I don't cut the borders down before sewing them on, measuring the section of the border that will be sewn to the side of the quilt and marking it with pins, only cutting down the corners after I've sewn the mitres. I would be too nervous of cutting it wrong, especially with such hard to find fabric.

Looking forward to seeing the quilt with this border added.

Susan Briscoe said...

Forgot to suggest, how about just thoroughly damping the fabric and ironing dry to shrink it, rather than washing? Unless I think the colour will run, that's what I usually do now. It helps keep some of the finish in the fabric, unless of course you want to wash that out.

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

Thank you Susan, I will follow both these suggestions! Like you, I usually sew first and cut after but am rather out of practice re mitering for as you know, it wasn't generally done on British quilts and certainly not on Welsh ones. Too
wasteful of fabric for one thing and I like to follow tradition.

Frances Leate said...

Definitely worth the wait for this fabulous quilt. Take care.

Shirley said...

All good things come to those who wait and you have been very patient and richly rewarded. The border is amazing. No wonder you held out for so long. The whole thing looks great.

Every Stitch said...

Wow -definitely worth waiting for that! It is perfect with the quilt - going to be such a beautiful finish!
Hilda

Robin said...

Absolutely lovely! All good things come to those who wait.

Lynn S said...

Your quilt is like a fairy tale come true! So very, very beautiful!!

Lynn S said...

Every few days, I look at your quilt! I just think it's so beautiful!

Kleine Vingers said...

The border is lovely!
Greetings